Proverbs 7:1 – Proverbs 20:21
When Solomon inherited the throne of Israel from his father King David he asked God for wisdom. His request was granted and Solomon received the blessing of discernment and wisdom beyond what any other human had ever had. What we find ourselves reading in Proverbs are God inspired words through a man who understood many of the depths of God. Solomon is now advising us with these words. Many lives can be changed by following the advice of the book of Proverbs. Lifestyle, work ethics, dealings with the less fortunate, time and money management and marriage issues are all included in these short concise verses of wisdom.
Scripture Proverbs 6:16 – 19
16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, 19 a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.
Solomon has put a short list of 7 things that are detestable to God.
- Arrogant Superiority (Pride) – When we elevate ourselves, we are lowering others. It is that pride in our hearts that God hates.
- Lies – There is nothing more important to God than Truth. Every promise and righteous act hinges on truth.
- Murder – Pre-Meditated Killing of an innocent life. God is the creator of life and nobody has the right to take an innocent life. The bible describes the devil as a liar and murderer (John 8:44) and when we murder, we are taking on attributes of Satan himself.
- Evil scheming heart – A heart that crafts and plans evil has no love or life. God is not part of this plan but selfish, envious, greed and sin are at the root of such an act.
- Intentionally fleeing to evil – Quickly running towards sin as if they might lose out on an opportunity without guilt or conscience. God hates it when people purposely sinning against Him.
- Bearing false witness – One who lies under oath intentionally harming another for self gain. God hates a lying person.
- Troublemaker – irritating and frustrating family or neighbors causing division and strife sinning against God.
None of these 7 acts are encouraged or endorsed by God. Solomon has clearly stated that God hates these things. As a Christian we should hate these things too. We should be humble, love others and should be lovers of truth. Those who lie have no moral character and cannot be trusted. Our testimony for Christ is our words and deeds to the world. Partaking in any of these 7 acts will not separate us from the world, instead we will be just like everyone else. How can we proclaim God’s truth if we have no truth in us? Let us carefully walk with God and encourage peace & harmony within our family and neighbors. Let others see our Lord in us through our character, actions and daily walk.
Lord help me to be a lover of your truth. Allow me to have the character that draws others to you. Let me be a light for you in a dark world.